Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Getting a start on the right foot

So if I am going to be the best most organized working wife in 2011, I must start on the right foot. This means that since I am off from work this week, I am going to take on the amazing task of cleaning my house from top to bottom. My thinking is that if I start out on the "right" clean foot, that I will have a better chance of success... we shall see.
To help guide me along my giant task, I have called on the wonderful guidance of the Flylady. If you have not heard of her, you must look her up! Her main point is that cleaning need not be an all day horriable task, but instead a simple task that is taken care of each day for only a few minutes. Now, for the past year or so, I have dabbled in her teachings, but my new goal is to follow her to a T! To get my jump start, I am modifing her concepts. The Flylady has your house broken in to five zones or sections and has a detailed cleaning list of how to clean each zone. Now, she has you work on one zone for an etire week every 5 weeks. I am going to use this as a guide and complete each list for an entire zone in one day. This means that by the time I go back to work on Monday, my entire house will be clean!
Yesterday I went to town on the kitchen. I blared my lively pop music and started cleaning area after area. I would take a small section and remove EVERYTHING. After the area was cleared, I would scrub with warm soapy water and if anything was not coming up, I would go at it with an old toothbrush. After the area was cleaned, I would return the items in a more organized manner. The biggest change was to a shelf that is above my sink. This shelf was orginally slated to hold my cookbooks, notepads, and pens. As time went on it became the dumping ground for anything tiny. I found a ton of batteries, scrunchies, a necklace, and about 5 of my husbands little pocket knives. I returned all of these objects to their "homes" and reorganized the cookbooks. It looks wonderful and I was amazed at what a difference this one little shelf made to the look of my entire kitchen!
Yesterday was obviously a huge success and I hope that today will be too! Today I am working in zone 5 the living and dinning rooms. My plan is to wash all of the walls, switch plates and base boards with warm soapy water, dust and wash (if needed) all of the kickknacks, clean the windows, remove clutter, and vaccum (not just the middle of the room, but move the furniture, and even hit the corners. Wish me luck!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment