Sunday, January 23, 2011

Slow and Steady

So this week I began going through the 15 boxes of books that I had packed away in our attic cubby hole. I am about 1/3 the way through them and have thrown out two boxes of trash and filled three boxes for donations. The vets come right to the house and pick them up from our doorstep which makes it super easy for me to do! I had been putting this project off for a LONG time as it seemed too big to tackle. But, this week I decided that I had a few minutes here and there, and that I would just pull out a box and go through it. The next thing I knew, I was pulling out another box and then another. On Monday, I had gone through 4 boxes when I had only planned on going through 1!!! Those 4 boxes only took 20 minutes. Today, I did a few more... who knows, I might be done this "impossible" task in about a week!

I also found my old college things and among them I found a story that one of my third graders from student teaching in 2002 wrote for me. She names it "Miss Janney the Best Student Teacher." It was a two page typed single spaced 12 point font story all about the class planning my going away party. It was the sweetest thing to read! It's funny to think she is now in 11th grade!! So not only did I clear up some valuable storage space, I got a sweet reminder of the awesomeness that is teaching... I'd say that is a winning combo:-) I still have boxes to go through and after this, I am heading pack upstairs to work on some more, but with only 20 minutes here and there, I have made a good dent so far!

This Saturday was the monthly poker game for my husband and I always try to find something to do that will bring me joy and if at all possible, be something that my husband can appreciate too. This time, I decided to stencil my kitchen. I have an apple theme and bought this adorable apple stencil over a year ago with the idea of doing the entire perimeter of my kitchen. I decided that this would be overkill, so instead I choose to only stencil over the outside door frame, the entrance to the dinning room and over the side window. It looks great and added some wonderful color to my white kitchen! I also had a wonderful time doing it and as my husband said "I love when you pretty up the place!" I have some pictures that I will post once I find my silly camera cord!

As for the laundry that I am working on this month, this week was a great week! I kept up with it and it seems like it is less work:-) I just may have this habit down before the end of the month after all!

This week I learned that even a big job can be done... if you take is one small bit at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment